Sunday 29 August 2010

Quail gives itself up - in the bag! Score!!!

I'm buzzing today after getting the Canons Farm Common Quail that I found yesterday out in the open this morning for about 3 seconds!!! It was crossing the path and froze on the spot as soon as it saw me! After admiring its intricate plumage and neat double chin strap I decided to go for it and try to get up and digiscope it, thinking that it would stay frozen. When I did so the bird took off and flew to the west side of the field where it then dropped down. I really can't complain about not getting a photo as I was very lucky and elated to get the views I got. What a mega bird for the patch and good for London and Surrey too. The bird continued to sing all day (much more frequently than yesterday), sometimes from just yards away. Wooohooooooo!!!

What made the day even better was getting great views of a flock of 5 Golden Plovers as they called and headed WSW (this and the late singing Quail show just how random Canons can be). Last time, when I saw a flock of 3, the birds were too low and fast to get them in the bins for long but this morning I got them in the bins for 2 or 3 minutes. Also 2 Yellow Wagtails flew over.

COMMON QUAIL FIRMLY ON MY CANONS AND LONDON LISTS - roll on Wryneck!!!