Monday 13 December 2010

Walk to college

My daily walk to and from college does not pass through any remarkable habitat. It involves crossing a main road, walking through a small and basic park, through a council housing estate followed by a couple of residential roads and finally a bit around the edge of a playing field. I've been going there as a school since 2005 and as a sixth form college since September this year. In those five years most journeys to and from the place have not produced anything interesting but it has had its moments. Highlights include a singing male Firecrest in a tiny bit of woodland and a Yellow Wagtail flying over. I occasionally stumble on one or two wintering Blackcaps and the odd Meadow Pipit, Grey Wagtail or Grey Heron has added interest and I once had a very close encounter with a tame Sparrowhawk.

This morning produced the best of the bunch so far. For the third time in two days I heard a Waxwing calling, looked up and saw the bird heading south west. Amazing!

In the last last of the day I briefly popped up to Banstead Downs Golf Course and located a pair of Firecrests. Unfortunately with the current conditions it is now impossible to get up to Canons in the afternoons except on Tuesdays when I get off at 1.00pm. I can't wait for the days to stretch out again.