Friday 8 July 2011

Caught Red-rumped

Red-rumped Swallow is a species that I've never had any particular luck with. I've gone for and dipped them a couple of times and been at sites when they have been present but for one reason or another didn't see them (mainly because news wasn't let out until dark). A text from Johnny Allan around 6.00pm sent me into panic as I tried to find someone to give me a lift down to Unstead for a bird that had just been found there. It turned out that Eagle was available so off we went. Badgeman and Factor were on the scene already with a handful of others and it wasn't long until Red-rumped Swallow was firmly on my list as it hawked amongst the swarm of House Martins, Swallows and Swifts. At times the bird flew right over our heads and gave very obliging views - the right way to get one in the end!!!