Saturday 5 May 2012

Keeps on coming


A truly superb spring at Canons Farm with several patch megas since the beginning of April, most notably Dotterel (first record), Black Tern (first record [I missed], Whimbrel (first record [I missed]), Pied Flycatcher (second record) and today two Shelducks (first record). The latter were picked up early this morning by Harry Boorman (of London bird race fame) and dismissed as 'just Mallards' - I looked and when I realised what they really were I was jumping for joy! I've always thought that Shelducks would fly over one day but it's been in the back of my mind lately so was completely unexpected. A very welcome patch tick!

Shelduck
 It was a good day otherwise (although very sadly the Dotterels didn't hang on...) with a female Common Redstart, two male Whinchats, about eight Yellow Wagtails and at least ten Wheatears sharing the same field at one point! Lots of good human company again today too.

female Yellow Wagtail

male Yellow Wagtail

male Whinchat