Saturday 19 October 2013

Semipalmated Plover on second attempt

Thankfully I managed to see the SEMIPALMATED PLOVER with Liam today at Black Point following a frustrating and very close dip yesterday with the Sussex guys. The flock moved to a shingle beach just down the road after a short while where it showed slightly closer and for a little longer but viewing conditions weren't as good with viewing space at a premium and quite nasty wind and rain.


On the way back home I heard that the three Mandarins seen at Burgh Heath pond (just out of the patch) were seen again and had headed towards Canons Wood, where I knew there was a small private pond that I hadn't yet had a chance to check out. I made my way over there and knocked on the landowner's door; he was more than happy to let me view the pond where there were ten Mandarins! Sadly, he told me that he had bred them there and they occasionally flew off to other ponds but always came back - so no tick! He also had a few Fulvous Whistling Ducks and a Turkey. He used to keep Wood Ducks but they have vanished.