Sunday 1 December 2013

Little Egrets over the patch, and an afternoon on Sheppey

Today started at the local patch where I fitted in a couple of hours' birding before the trip to Kent that I had promised Josh Burch. This was worthwhile as it resulted in great excitement when I clocked two high Little Egrets making their way over the farm, the third site record and a patch lifer for me!

Little Egrets moving high over the farm this morning

At Elmley NNR, Josh and I enjoyed superb views of a Short-eared Owl, three Barn Owls and a Peregrine behind the toilet block. It was the first time I'd been at the reserve since the management handover and it was interesting seeing the work being done along the entrance track which will hopefully lead to the site becoming even more appealing for birds.

Short-eared Owl quartering the marsh behind the toilets at Elmley