Friday 20 January 2017

Canons Farm, Banstead Woods, Carshalton Ponds and Beddington Farmlands, 20th January 2017

Another fine day and another circuit of the farm, this time rewarded with seven Lapwings which dropped in just as I was about to drive to Banstead Woods to meet up with Darragh C. In the Woods we caught up with four redpolls, following three I had over the farm earlier (along with two Siskins). We spent a little time trying to photograph the Meadow Pipits in Hither Field which were unusually obliging.

Lapwings at Canons
Meadow Pipit at Banstead Woods
♂ Bullfinch at Banstead Woods
After managing to site-tick the drake Shoveler at Carshalton Ponds on a drive-by, in the afternoon Christian C and I had a mooch around Hundred Acre at Beddington. We located the Siberian Chiffchaff and a couple of Water Pipits, and on my walk back a Woodcock flew by in the gloam (my first at Beddington!). It was impressive to see 2,000 or so Jackdaws flying to roost on Mitcham Common.