Tuesday 28 March 2017

27-28th March 2017

A couple of outings locally before heading to Edinburgh for a few days. On Monday, I started at Canons, where the groundhog day cycle still felt as though it were in effect. A Siskin, a Canada Goose, a Lesser Black-backed Gull, a Chiffchaff, eight Meadow Pipits... A cuppa with Steve G before joining him on a tour of Priest Hill, a lovely little site, was a nice way to spend the afternoon. The birding potential of Priest Hill is stark but only another Siskin and a few Meadow Pipits were on offer for us that afternoon.

The wind having prevented me from getting the nets up at Beddington for what feels like ages, I took the chance to fit in a ringing session there on Tuesday morning before heading to Canons to lead a walk for Legal & General staff. It was an improved haul on recent sessions, with three Reed Buntings and a Chiffchaff being caught. I expect the 'volume' will come for this site when the Reed and Sedge Warblers arrive. On the way back to the car, a cracking male Wheatear flicked across my path. My first of the spring, although I wasn't really fit to fully appreciate it, carrying two boxes of kit and sweating like a pig while racing back to the car, smelling of sewage. The L&G walk paid off with a Red Kite drifting west being my first for a little while plus views of one of Little Owl pairs.

male Wheatear at Beddington
male Reed Bunting at Beddington