Sunday 5 March 2017

London Wetland Centre, 5th March 2017

On a rainy Sunday it makes sense to go to the London Wetland Centre so Josh B and I headed up there for a quick look. I'm glad I signed up for membership again last time, it's a nice reserve to add a bit of extra variety to my routine birding. Some guys were on a juvenile Iceland Gull when we arrived in the Peacock Tower, looking like the regular Beddington bird but not sticking for long at all, and I picked out a second-winter Caspian Gull and a first-winter Yellow-legged Gull (one of the birds from Beddington the other day, I'm sure). I was even happier to see a distant Jack Snipe bobbing around and there seemed to be an increase in Wigeon since my last visit, at 54 birds. A pair of Pintail was also showing, as was the hybrid Aythya.

second-winter Caspian Gull
first-winter Yellow-legged Gull
juvenile Iceland Gull
very smart first-winter Lesser Black-backed Gull
adult ♂ Pintail
adult ♂ Wigeon
Great Crested Grebe
Jack Snipe!