Wednesday 23 August 2017

Canons Farm and Beddington Farmlands, 23rd August 2017

A circuit of Canons this morning produced a hat-trick of decent fly-overs, with a Yellow Wagtail followed by two Tree Pipits and then three quite unexpected Snipe! I managed to fit in a couple of hours at Beddington before work in the evening, searching the mound and scanning the lakes. A Mistle Thrush was the best sighting, this being a surprisingly difficult bird at Beddington and actually a patch tick for me! I may have seen one years ago when I first started visiting, but I deleted the species a while ago as I couldn't actually recall any encounters. Two Pochard, four Shoveler and five Teal were on the South Lake. Two juvenile Yellow-legged Gulls were among the hordes of Larids, while a Wheatear, two Little Egrets, 21 Lapwings and singles of Common Sandpiper, Egyptian Goose and Cetti's Warbler were noted.